Lazlo COS Pathfinder - Low Magic
Welcome to the LCM Ruleset
a D20 Low Magic Variant for Pathfinder
I have set up this page as a central location for the LCM Ruleset & Campaign story line which are present in my home game. This project pulls heavily from d20 variant material across many topics such as Character Creation, Magic, Combat and a few others. This means the campaign will deviate heavily from a normal D20 Pathfinder campaign and in fact is better thought of as a D20 Low Fantasy Environment than as a Pathfinder overhaul. As such players will have to learn a different style of game play which may feel very unfamiliar at first.
Benchmarks for the campaign setting include:
Lord of the Rings – by JRR Tolkein
Witcher I – III Video Games
Game of Thrones (HBO) / Song of Ice & Fire (George Martin)
Grim-N-Gritty 3.3 by Ken S. Hood
Things which should be expected of the campaign:
- Magic items are extremely rare
- Spell casters make up less than 2% of the population of the world (fully 1/2 of which are Alchemists). Roughly 85% of all casters are only able to cast 3rd level spells or lower. 70% of Casters are Divine casters / 30% Arcane. Roughly 80% of all casters are partial casters.
- Character Level hard cap is 13th level (level 10 for NPCs)
- Spell levels are hard capped at 6th level (5th level for NPCs)
- Curative magic isn’t as good
- There are no spells which raise the dead
- Teleportation magic is rare and severely limited in scope.
- Many spells have been rewritten or eliminated to better fit the campaign setting
- Racial and Class restrictions are in place (see the character creation section for more on this)
- Combat is FAR more dangerous.
- Encounters have been scaled to account for these changes
- All changes effect both PC & NPC alike
This document is large and I suggest allowing a solid day or two to review the material before trying to sit down and run through an LCM game for the first time.