Lazlo COS Pathfinder - Low Magic
- The purpose of this site is to gather all of the house rules and published variant rules which will be used in the campaign to one location for ease of reference. This is a living documents which will be updated as needed to keep pace with any adjustments that may later be needed / discovered during game play.
- Our campaign setting is based upon the official Pathfinder Campaign world of Golarion, however it should be noted that the LCM ruleset is tailored to reflect a lower magic, and more harsh environment than in the canon product. The HBO series "Game of Thrones", the Witcher 2 & 3 video games, and the Lord of the Rings movies are excellent benchmarks for the campaign.
- Arcane Magic is both real, and distrusted. For this reason most Arcane casters are 2/3 partial casters, with only about 30% normal actually being a full caster. While this poses no direct restriction on character class choices it does contribute to the shaping of the campaign world.
- Magic items are far less common, and most are replaced by high quality exotic goods & masterwork items, or alchemical creations.
- Variant rules are in place for both magic and combat. Please be sure to review both of these sections carefully.
- Injuries and Conditions (poison, disease, bleed effects from Massive Damage wounds, etc) are much more serious and difficult to treat under the LCM Ruleset.
- Our campaign uses the Slow Progression xp chart. Any NPC / PC above 10th level is very rare, with a campaign hard cap at 13th level. Most of the people in the world are illiterate commoners with only 1 – 3 levels.
- Experience is tracked as a group, with everyone leveling up their characters at the same time (typically between adventure sessions). Freebie Points (also called “Hero Points” in some games) are used to track individual accomplishments and success.
- math fractions are always rounded in favor of the players
- The Wealth by Level (WBL) The Wealth by Level system has been removed from the LCM ruleset. Actual magic items are extremely rare in the campaign, and encounters / monsters have been scaled to account for this.
Alignment has been relaxed greatly and now is merely a reflection of a character's general outlook, religion or philosophy on life. Spells which detect alignment, or otherwise target based on alignment no longer function or only target members who are for / against a given faith. Spells which target "evil", now specifically target Undead, Demons/Devils, and similar creatures.
The following websites contain all of the OGL material and account for about 95% of all material in the campaign:
The campaign setting – A little about the area of Lastwall, who are the neighbors, etc
Races of Lastwall – a few notes on racial optimizations that I noticed while building characters which fit their “feel” and theme
Character Generation – critical – Read this stuff!
Spells and Magic – critical – Read this stuff!
Combat – critical – Read this stuff!
Death, Damage and Healing – critical – Read this stuff!
For higher level characters (usually above 6th level within the campaign) the option for Followers and Hirelings become one to consider as a possible option.
Useful links can be found here.