Lazlo COS Pathfinder - Low Magic
D20 Pathfinder: Low Magic Variant set in Lastwall
Some of the specifics that can be expected from the campaign include:
- Pathfinder D20 is a very diverse collection of rules, not all of which (such as the rules for psionics and blackpowder) are appropriate to our campaign. The LCM Ruleset is the collection of the variant rules (and core rules omissions) which we will be using in the campaign.
- combat and magic have seen a significant overhauled under these variant rules
- Our campaign has much lower levels (campaign hard cap at 13th LvL) and generally slower progress. NPC’s have a further handicap in that they are required to take 1 – 3 levels in a non-spellcasting NPC class before “advanced training” (or retraining in the case of rare individuals) into a PC class. PC’s are considered to have retrained their NPC class levels to become 1 level PC’s, thus explaining both their early training and starting gear.
- 0 Level Cantrips / Orisons and 8th / 9th LvL spells are removed from the campaign. 6th and 7th level magics are only accessible via Incantation style casting.
- Leveling and experience are tracked as a group.
- There is much less resistance to magic under the LCM. Spell Resistance (SR) for example is completely gone, few creatures are simply immune to damage, and Evasion has been redesigned. In cases where a creature does have some form of immunity, they will always have something they are vulnerable to (example: fire, silver, dragon glass / obsidian).
- math fractions are always rounded in favor of the players
- Freebie Points are used to track individual accomplishments and success.
- Skill may use alternate stats such as Climb using Dex, or Intimidate using Str.
The Wealth by Level (WBL) Magic items are extremely rare in the campaign, and very few encounters are written with the assumption that such items would be needed to successfully complete adventures. As such “special” items will generally be seen with mundane alchemical items, or masterwork items.
Alignment has been relaxed greatly and now is merely a reflection of a character’s general outlook, religion or philosophy on life. Spells which detect alignment, or otherwise target based on alignment no longer function or only target members who are for / against a given faith. Spells which target “evil”, now specifically target Undead, Demons/Devils, and similar creatures.
www.d20pfsrd.com – contains all the core rules and optional 3rd party products variants released under the D20 OGL.
The campaign setting
Skills and Feats
Spells and Magic
Death, Damage and Healing
For higher level characters (usually above 6th level within the campaign) the option for Cohorts, Hirelings, and Henchmen become one to consider as a possible option.
Useful links can be found here.